POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy : Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:29:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 16 Jul 2008 11:56:48
Message: <487e1a40@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:24:44 +0200, Gilles Tran wrote:

> This is the traditional US point of view but other cultures have a
> different one, where the author is actually "sacred" : it's called
> "moral rights" and it's part of the Berne Convention (Article 6b)

I would disagree with this, actually - just look at how copyright has
been extended over the years for everyone in order to protect Mickey
Mouse (and I'm serious about that one).  In the US, there is "implied
copyright" which means even if the author doesn't declare a copyright,
the author's work is covered by copyright law and they have rights to
their creation.

Jim